Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Lefse

MMMMM.

A recipe from "The Old Country".  Well, not my Old Country but my grandpa's.  Norway.  Gotta love NorwayBeautiful! Great sweaters. Great food.  Did I say beautiful.  One day I will get to see it through more than just pictures.

Anyway, let me get on with the recipe.

It has been years since I had lefse.  Last time I had some was when the lady who looked after my grandpa while we were gone made it.  My grandpa passed away in 1989.  So, when I went to my friend's house last night and she was making lefse, I was very happy and my tastebuds were jumping.

So...without further ado

Lefse

8 cups mashed or riced potatoes
1 cup cream milk
2 2/3 cups flour
1/2 cup margarine

Mix together.  Sprinkle flour onto surface and roll lefse dough out very thin (you should almost see through it).  Don't use too much flour to begin with as it will toughen the dough and it can dry out.

Any recipe I ever saw called for a special pan to make the lefse in so I never attempted to make it, thinking it was needed.  Boy was I wrong!  My friend just used a regular old frying pan (with no oil).

Cook, browning slightly on both sides.  Spread margarine on one side and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and roll up like a crepe.  Delicious!  I dare you to just eat one!

If you roll them out too thin it will be very difficult to roll the lefse

No comments:

Post a Comment